Friday 26 February 2010

A Prophet

I'm breaking the ice, well not just breaking it but smashing it, melting it and even drinking it. After 3 of my blog in the row talking about "you can easily live without" films, here is the one you can NOT live without!

Yes, it is A Prophet or
Un Prophete.

I wasn't feeling sleepy last night and at 10 o'clock I decided to watch something which I have heard to be good. But the rumors were wrong it was not good but A MUST-SEE, SENSATIONAL, MASTERFUL, UNFORGETTABLE, POWERFUL, COMPELLING (some of the words from the Trailer). Perfect acting, scenario, script, directing, cinematography & sound. Supported by a compelling original score by Alexandre Desplat and brilliant cinematography by Stéphane Fontaine, directed by Jacques Audiard.

The plot: It set mainly within prison walls, Malik el Djebena, a 19-year-old man of North African origin sentenced to six years in prison. At his arrival in prison, he is forced into the murky world of prison crime when Cesar tell him to kill a follow Arab prisoner, and if Malik doesn't they would kill him. From this point on we start "living and breathing" with Malik. You drawn instantly into his life and can not leave him. It is like a book you can't put down because you want to know what happens next. From the moment he trains himself how to kill his victim, then becoming the slave of the Corsican mafia gang, learning to read, all the way to the end he captures you with his ability to build a completely assured reality about this character.

The star:
Tahar Rahim. He is genuine and believable and wonderful. His performance is shivering with the fear of loneliness and pain. I have to admit I fell in love with him in a flash. Of course he didn't win the BAFTA Rising Star award because he wasn't in Twilight. But he knew that right away on arrival! (they misspelled his name) He is one of those who can't seems to realize how talented he is. We could say if it was an English-language film he would take not only the Oscar but most of the awards but I'm honestly so glad it is not and he is what he is!

So by half midnight I finished the film and it was long that is true but I found myself at the end wishing to know more, and rather regretting the end of this fascinating movie.

I'm proudly present that A Prophet is the best film of 2009 and because I saw it just yesterday it is the best of 2010.

2 comments:

  1. this movie sounds fantastic and after reading your review I will certainly be looking out for this to buy online....

    you words about Tahar Rahim are beautifully written and of course right about him not winning a BAFTA due to not being in Twilight, hopefully the future is bright for this young man....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing is superb and this review is great. Un Prophete was a brilliant film and one of the best I've seen in a while. It can be a tad slow for my taste but the acting, direction, everything is quite well done.

    You got something great here and I look forward to reading more from you.
    -The Movie Encyclopedia

    ReplyDelete