Tuesday 23 February 2010

Coco Before Chanel



I was wondering after the BAFTA how on earth Coco Before Chanel lost against The Young Victoria in the Costume Design Category. We have seen so many films which played in the Victorian era and not being an expert I tried to understand why did Sandy Powell deserve the award again. If you come to think of it, how often do we see a film about a fashion icon's life which presumable full of fabric, colour, design, forms and style. I was looking forward to see quality fabric to be chosen, cut and sewed, a woman riping a piece of fabric and turn it into a dress. An early life of a designer, whose brand still one of the leading label worldwide and even on Ebay I can't afford to buy a piece but keep adding it to my wish list and hoping for the best. (winning the lottery)


Solving this mystery I found myself 105 minutes of free time and watched the film.


The only thing saving me saying that it was just like The Young Victoria,(flat and lack of drama) is cinematography. The certain elements of clothing (black and white patterns, stripes, men's shirts) are shown with great details (unfortunately not more then 45 second in the whole film) and with spectacular focus pulling we have the essence of Chanel's trademark. The wonderful French countryside and mansion is stunning throughout and the accompanying soundtrack fitting the feel of the film perfectly.

Let's not talk about the director, the lack of passion and drama, the flat script, the easily predictable scenes or the way too long duration of the film.

Now I know what did I do wrong. I shouldn't have approached this film with an expectation that I would learn something of the beginnings of Chanel the brand and how it became the icon of today. Something what I have got from La Vie en Rose.

It was more like a nice summer film with nothing to go away with but knowing the well-known fact the Audrey Tautou is still one of the most amazing actress in the world.

And as for winning the Oscar, well good luck! BAFTA was giving to the Shakespeare in Love designer with my approval after all.


The nomination of this film is like my items on my wish list, it is Chanel!


No comments:

Post a Comment