Wednesday 24 February 2010

An Education


An other BAFTA moment made me realise I have to see this film in order to have a proper opinion about Carey Mulligan.

The first time I saw a picture of her when I was queuing up in a supermarket and on the front cover of a magazine she was walking along with Shia LaBeouf. All I remember from that moment that it made me realize you can have a hot guy with short hair. The second time I came across with her name when she was among the BAFTA Rising Start nominees. But we all knew Kristen Stewart is the only one who can win this game so I carried on with my Careyless life.

Eventually, BAFTA came and she reappeared with blond hair and gave interviews where she was articulate, shy but charming, lovely but scared and with that she won the Best Actress in a Leading Role Award. So here I am, watching the film to make sure she did deserve it.

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure this film gave me any more than what the 3 minutes trailer already showed me. The plot is simple and far from new or interesting, we know these characters very well from books, films. It didn't capture me with its lack of freshness. By the end of the film I felt like being Jenny, living in a small town watching boring films and not having a life. I left the cinema feeling how thin so many movies are these days.

Emma Thompson, Olivia Williams, Peter Sarsgaard and Alfred Molina - who easily steals every scene he was in - and yes, Carey Mulligan. She ultimately saved me from regretting having watched the film. She was amazingly brilliant and the critics are right "a star has born". And they are soo RIGHT because she has just born so I wouldn't give her an Oscar just yet, not until she is at least a teenager if not an adult and played another 5 memorably roles.

I feel sorry for the film and Lynn Barber or Nick Hornby though. It is not more than an Audrey Hepborn lookalike's wonderful performance. I have never felt bored after watching Roman Holiday, Sabrina, Breakfast at Tiffany's or My Fair Lady. Why did it fell so predictable and dull after all then?

I look forward to hearing your answer!

2 comments:

  1. Haven't seen this yet, but glad to see someone else also things Carey Mulligan looks like a young Audrey Hepborn.

    Nicely written blog post, and it's refreshing to see an opinion that is honest rather than sycophantic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks for reading me and leaving lovely comments. x

    ReplyDelete