Sunday 14 February 2010

Valentine's Day


I have to type this up otherwise I’m not going to sleep tonight I just know. I have just wasted 2 hours 38 minutes of my life by watching the latest romcom, Valentine’s Day.

My single life Valentine's Day started very well actually, a nice box of handmade luxuries bonbons for breakfast(a present from last night), with The Sunday Times paper, a couple of emails with friends about how they got home last night after our crazy night out and then I got ready for "The" movie which I thought will be lovely to finish this "wonderful" day with.

I have to be honest here which might cause that people start unfollowing me on twitter or my name will be on milk boxes tomorrow with a slogan „Idiot, do not know real romance and do not listen to her. EVER!” .

Anyway, so the film. Yes, it has got everyone, really like EVERYONE. Anne Hathaway, Ashton Kutcher, Bradley Cooper, Bryce Robinson, Emma Roberts, Eric Dane, George Lopez, Hector Elizondo, Jamie Foxx, Jennifer Garner, Jessica Alba, Jessica Biel, Julia Roberts, Kathy Bates, Patrick Dempsey, Queen Latifah, Shirley MacLaine, Taylor Lautner, Taylor Swift, Topher Grace (did I miss anyone?) and directed by Garry Marshall who is also the director of Pretty Woman which we all love and know the script from heart but that is all about it.

In a summary: badly written script (or I would say no script at all, probably put together over a fag break), poor direction (sorry Garry we know you can do better), boring characters (characters, were there any?), cliched storylines (in big CLICHED) and a shocking lack of laughs (I laughed when I tripped in the dark movie theater) . We got everything: luxury, skinny miserable girls, beautifully build male actors, sunshine in February, sad kid, friendship ending with love, cheating on wife, tears and hugs and kisses (not passionate ones, are you kidding this is not Hollywood, or yes it is,but anyway...)

I can see what they have tried, pull big names together and forget about the rest, but you can’t make a movie like that, can you?

Its an American version of Love Actually, with the UK version being the much better movie.

I might be too harsh here but the my favorite scene was the closing credits. Please go and see it and prove me wrong!

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, did she like it or didn't she? Ha, ha. Well, I shall wait till it comes round on TV but I'm sure you're right. Hollywood doesn't tend to make many good films, and they're more interested in the commercial realities rather than the artistic and cultural values that good cinema can portray. A passionate review, though, and that's a very good thing.

    ReplyDelete