Sunday 7 February 2010

Moon


I have heard bits and bobs about the film and I was constantly asked whether I've managed to see it.
So I decided the time has come. I have done my research beforehand and knew about the low budget (how can you do something at all from only $5 million?), directed by Duncan Jones, son of David Bowie, Kevin Spacey as GERTY the robot, shoot location Pinewood Studios where I also filmed a short interview with someone famous (top secret who it was). So I got the DVD on a Saturday evening and instead of going out to a dinner party I watched it with great expectation.


The script and the story: It's smart, literate, it doesn't condescend to its audience. It's very, human and original. The actor, the only „real” actor: Sam Rockwell rocks and kicked ass. I only saw him in Charlie's Angels when I was at the end of my teens and later heard that he is in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which put him right into my „not a real actor” list. His performance in this movie was outstanding. He is the film all by himself. We can agree that he is the finest actor of the planet, well of the Moon . (I’m not going to see Iron Man 2 to destroy my theory)


The set made me feel it is all happening at the same time as Alien in 1979. Nothing too flashy, too much, just simple design so we can concentrate on the story. Review writers and critics were just way to active when they put the IMDB „Goofs” page together. It was shot only in 33 days with no money and they even got Kevin Spacey in it and squeezed him into that tiny box. Of course there are slips in continuity but that is not the point. And GERTY is just great (and funny) with his smiley face icons which change depending on what his mood is.


I’m not a big sci-fi film fan but as Steve Biodrowski said „This excellent little science fiction film is a welcome throwback to an earlier era, when filmmakers used the canvas afforded by outer space and/or the future to explore ideas about the human condition.” Very well said!

1 comment:

  1. nice blog - enjoyed the read and agree with your comments "It's very, human and original" - Sam Rockwell was brilliant in the movie

    ReplyDelete